Mathematics at Berrymede
At Berrymede we aim to provide our children with an exciting, varied and engaging maths programme. It is further enhanced by the embedding of our Harmony curriculum which establishes a foundation for understanding how mathematics connects to the world around them and that maths is everywhere.
The National Curriculum for mathematics aims to ensure that all pupils;
- become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including the varied and regular practice of increasingly complex problems over time.
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, understanding relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
- can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
In order to support our pupil’s development, we follow a Mastery approach to the teaching of mathematics, intertwined with the Harmony approach. Pupils have the opportunity in Maths to learn through enquiry and exploring the why of the mathematical concepts.
We use MyMaths, a captivating and engaging online resource with a wide range of age appropriate activities for children to use at school and for their home learning;
Times Table Rockstars
Times Tables Rockstars (TTRS) is used at our school to encourage the use of times tables and support pupils in
By the time our pupils leave Berrymede, we expect all students to:
- Be fluent in a range of mathematical concepts
- Have an enriched understanding of sophisticated mathematical vocabulary
- Be effective problem solvers
To understand how mathematics connects to nature and the real world